Hair Loss

Causes for Hair Loss: Is Levothyroxine one of the Causes for Hair Loss?

Levothyroxine Sodium is a synthetic thyroxine hormone. Thyroxine is a hormone produced by the thyroid gland. It helps in the metabolism of the body and aids growth and development. Any kind of imbalance of thyroxine hormone can cause disorder. To counter the problem, the patients are recommended Levothyroxine sodium. It comes in many brand names like Levothroid Levoxyl, Unithroid, Synthroid etc. Levothyroxine sodium comes with side effects like dry skin, menstrual problems, fatigue and so on. Thyroxine is one of the causes for hair loss.

What is hair loss?
Nearly 90% of our hair is in growing stage at any given point of time. The rest of the 10% is in resting phase. The resting hair finally falls out and a new hair grows. Hair loss occurs when the hair falls but the new hair doesn’t grow. It is normal to lose 100 hairs per day. However, if you start losing more than 100 hairs for prolonged period then it might lead to baldness. Genes, stress, pollution, medicines are some of the causes for hair loss.

Levothyroxine and hair loss
Some patients taking thyroxine for hypothyroidism might notice hair fall. It may be one of the reasons for hair fall. The wrong dosage, either over or under, can trigger hair fall in the patient. The maximum dosage of synthetic thyroxine is 400 mcg. Unfortunately, the endocrinologist cannot guess the suitable dosage for each patient. Hence, the medication has to be regularly monitored for any negative side effects. In many cases, the doctors are not aware of the hair fall inducement caused by thyroxine sodium.

Do not worry. If the hair loss is due to the medicines, it can be corrected by altering the dosage.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *